Having a cat under the same roof brings a stress-relieving company that keeps you entertained all the time. However, some people may have cat allergies that prevent them from living the same experience. Therefore, many cat lovers with allergies tend to adopt hypoallergenic cat breeds such as Maine Coon. The question is, are Maine Coon cats hypoallergenic? Here, we will talk about this so you can have a better idea of the topic.
What Causes Cat Allergies
Cats produce certain types of allergens such as the Fel D1 protein. This allergen can be found in the cat’s saliva, skin, dander, and urine. There is a common belief that allergens are mainly found in the cat’s hair and once they’re touched, they get released. Well, that’s not true, what happens is that when the cat grooms itself, it transfers the allergen from its saliva to fur. That dried saliva is now in the air and once it gets touched, it triggers the allergic reaction.
In general, allergic reactions are not dangerous. They can vary from light to mild, however, they can get severe in certain cases. If so, it’s highly recommended rushing to the nearest hospital right away.
Why do some people have allergic reactions while others don’t?
The most obvious answer is because of their immune systems. For some reason, some people’s immune systems get highly activated and send vibes to the mind as if there is a deadly danger. They start to produce antibodies to attack the enemy known as the allergen.
Are Maine Coon Cats Hypoallergenic?
No, they are not. Hypoallergenic does not mean that they do not cause allergic at all. It means that their breed is less likely to cause allergic reactions.
The Most Common Cat Allergy Symptoms
Here’s a list of the most common cat allergy symptoms that people with cat allergies may face:
- Itchy and/or runny nose
- Massive rashes especially on the chest and face
- Red, itchy and/or swollen eyes
- Difficulties in breath
If you, by anyhow, are sensitive to cat allergies you may experience either one or more of the mentioned symptoms. If you are not that much sensitive towards cat allergies, the symptoms will start to appear after 4 to 8 hours of contact with the cat.
Do Maine Coon Cats Shed?
As a matter of fact, Maine Coon cats do not shed that much. The length of their hair may create a concern in your mind. They produce more amounts of unwanted hair compared to other cat breeds. Keep in mind that a good combing, smooth brushing, is highly recommended in order to keep their fur silky and beautiful the way it is.
How to Reduce Cat Allergies? What Procedures Should You Follow?
Loving your Maine Coon but having to deal with allergic reactions seems a little bit challenging. A lovely Maine Coon cat will bring sweetness to your home and joy to your life. They are known for their joyful nature; they love to snuggle and play with their humans. They surely can bring the sweetest vibes even to your worst day ever. I bet you have been thinking if there’s a way to help you better handle the situation at your home. The good news is you can actually follow some procedures in order to reduce the effect of allergic reactions.
Here are some tips of the instructions you should follow to reduce the allergic reaction:
- Get a female cat; female cats are believed to release fewer amounts of the allergens compared to the male ones.
- Prevent your Maine Coon cat from entering certain places in the house such as bedrooms and bathrooms.
- Wash your hands frequently especially after touching the cat or dealing with its litter box. On top of that, DO NOT touch your face by anyhow, and make sure you wear gloves.
- Cover the furniture with washable covers to reduce the spread of allergen through the cat’s dander, saliva, and fur.
- Wash your cat’s blanket, bed, bedding, and toys with hot water
- Make sure you change their litter box daily, if possible, or every two days while wearing gloves. This is highly important because every time the cat uses its litter box, it releases allergens.
- Wash clothes on a daily base
- Consider immunotherapy; which involves regular shots that help to form gradual resistance over several years.
- Vacuum daily, get a vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter that will catch dander, and keep it in.
- Get a HEPA air filter in order to prevent airborne from spreading in your home.
- Do not allow your cat to lick or scratch you
- Consider using anti-allergen sprays
Is there available Medicine that helps prevent Allergic Reactions?
First things first, talk with your doctor and consult allergy medicines. These medicines might be the ones over the corner that will provide you with relief. In addition, you may also take allergy pills and/or inhalers according to your case. However, severe allergic reactions will need more serious medications that your doctor will prescribe for you. Besides, natural medicines can also work to protect your body from allergens such as herbs.
Caring for Your Maine Coon Cat
There is a possibility that you may keep your cat’s allergen spread at a lower rate by following these tips:
- Brush your cat gradually, every day
- Bathe your cat frequently
- Comb their hair every day
All cat breeds reduce the protein Fel D1 which transfers the allergen to the cat’s dander, urine, saliva, hair, and skin. The good news is that some cat breeds such as Maine Coon produce this allergen in fewer amounts. This does not mean that people with cat allergies will not face allergic reactions while dealing with a Maine Coon cat. It means that they will be more tolerant of those cats.